CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Last Day in London

Night 2 and Day 3 in London
I'm a little bit behind in blogging because of crazy internet service over here, but I will try and catch up! I'm currently typing this in Brussels (this is our second day) but for continuity reasons I'll finish up with London and then do another post for Brussels.
Our third and last day in London was more of a continuation of the second night rather than its own. For dinner on the 2nd night, we headed out of the main city a bit and went to a great Italian place near the flat Kenley had rented when he visited London with his family. We also visited the next door pub to enjoy a couple of drinks while we waited for our table to be ready. Being in London for the World Cup, we got the watch the match on a huge tv during dinner and cheer along with the crowd. Later that night we returned to our favorite Hookah bar and then back to the hotel. Determined to see game 7 of the NBA playoffs we found a way to stream the game live using HORRIBLE internet service in our not so amazing hotel and joined together on Kenley's bed to watch Mike's laptop. With time differences the game didn't start for us until around 2:30 in the morning. As much as I love CA, I was determined to get some rest that night and attempted to sleep while the boys watched the game. As you might have guessed that didn't work out too well between the cheers for each basket and curses for each time the internet went out at a crucial point, and I too was up until 4:45 that morning watching the Lakers clench the victory and Mike do the best celebratory dance he could in our tiny room. It was pretty comforting knowing that across the ocean my family and closest friends were doing the same thing and I managed to get through the first email from Mom without crying too much (No I'm not that homesick yet, yes I miss everyone and cry easily.)

After 5 hours of sleep and dressed in a strapless top determined to even out the "tan" (read burn) lines I had acquired the day before,I woke the boys up and we headed back to Buckingham palace to watch the changing of the guard. Being vertically challenged was somewhat of an issue for this, but we were able to experience it for what it was and see the Guards and band live. According to Mike the processional was somewhat different this time as the band played for much longer than he remembered them doing in the past. With song choices such as the theme from ET and What a Wonderful World, we were all giggling at how odd the experience was.

From the palace we hopped on a quick tube ride to head over to London Bridge, the Monument and the Tower of London. We were reminded more times than I can count that the actual London Bridge is in the U.S. and I was asked again if I was from Australia (I took it as a compliment)

The Monument was built to commemorate the Great Fire of London 1666 which burnt for 3 days and destroyed over half the cities homes. It has 311 stairs in a spiral stair case, which we all conquered and allows for AMAZING panoramic views from the top deck. Despite aching thighs that are still causing us all to be a bit slower in our travels it was an experience of a lifetime that I'm glad we stumbled upon.

From the Monument we headed over to the Tower of London, passing the "Walrus and Carpenter" Bar on the way which brought a huge smile to my face (there is ALWAYS something while we're exploring that can remind me of home) We unfortunately did not do the tour of the Tower of London because of time restraints but it is somewhere that I HAVE to go back to so I can experience it more fully. Just like being at so many of the other London monuments you could feel the history surrounding you and feel yourself being swept back in time. It put Medieval Times to shame!

Mike's sister Lauren had a layover in London on her way to South Africa for the World Cup games so we met up with her in Trafalgar square and headed over to a local pub to watch the USA match of the World Cup games and explore the city a bit more, finding St. Paul's Church, Covent Garden and another park (there are so many I don't really know all of their names) We had a great time talking to the locals in the pub we found and were amused and amazed at the amount of beer they can drink and the love they game for the game of "Football." I think they were pretty entertained by us too as we were the typical Americans living the charmed life. After well wishes from them and goodbyes with Lauren our group headed back to our hotels to pack up and make sure we were ready for travel the next day. We then headed out to the suburbs to meet up with Mike's friend from college Jen, who lives out here to join her coworkers in watching the England game. I LOVED getting to see what a real pub was like and experiencing the energy that comes along with an England football game. I can't help but be jealous that the United States doesn't have something that we can come together over. Jen and her friends were absolutely awesome and I truly hope she gets the chance to come and visit San Diego in the future. After an adventurous Tube ride where we thought we were going to lose Mike after he hopped off to use the restroom we eventually all found our way back to the hotel to grab a couple of hours of sleep before we had to say goodbye to London.

For the first city I've been to over here, I must say that London did not disappoint at all and I can not wait to go back. I loved everything about it. From the parks, to the tube and minding the gap, to the history that surrounded you at every corner to my favorite accents, London was simply amazing. I wish I had gotten more time to see more museums, take more tours, and see a show (We didn't get to see Billy Elliot because of time issues) but I am comforted in knowing that I will be back and I will love it even more next time!
Next stop: Brussels (I'm actually already here, but that's ok, just read the next post too!)Cheers and Love you All!

0 comments:

Post a Comment