CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Brrrrrrrr Brussels

June 20th-Brussels Day 2
After getting home from the B-Club ridiculously late, I was determined to make Brussels day 2 productive and get in as much site seeing as I could. With such limited time Justin and I decided to leave the hungover boys at the hotel and that the best way to see everything was to get onto one of the double decker site seeing buses that lets you hop on and hop off. We attempted to find somewhere to eat before we boarded the bus but because we were in a religious city and it was Sunday pretty much everything was closed. So despite everything I had promised myself about this trip we ended up at McDonalds for breakfast (to be fair I only ordered orange juice so I didn't really break the rules) Once we found our way to the bus pick up (we had to stop at the most ridiculous hotel here that cost 450 euros a night to ask and borrow a map)we got on board and I insisted we sit on the top deck.

Despite the freezing temperatures(it was barely 50 degrees and raining and I'm from Southern California!)and wind blowing in our faces, Justin and I had a great time seeing the following sites:

Gare Central and Grand Place, Royal St. Hubert Gallery, Tin Tin and the Cathedral
Place Royal where there is the Royal Park, Royal Theatre, Belgian Federal Parliament, Royal Palace Dynasty Museum
Sablon where there was the antiques market, Sablon Church and Garden, the Synagogue, Marollen, and Marche aux puces
Louise Square/Justice Palace
European Paliament including the European Union District, European Council of Ministers, Leopold Park and Place de Luxembourg
Cinquantenaire Park including Autoworld, Royal Military Museum, Royal Museum of Art and History and Triumph Arch

Place Schuman
Place Rogier and Gard du Nord
The Atomium (this was a favorite for me)

The Japanese Tower-Chinese Pavillion where the Royal Residencees of Laken and the The Royal Greenhouses are
North Station
Grand Place where Saint Catherine Church, the Chocolate Museum and Mannekin Pis are

The Grand Place is EXACTLY what its name suggests GRAND! It was the most beautiful site so far on this trip and pictures simply don't do it justice. Hidden amongst a maze of alley ways Grand Place sneaks up on you and leaves you breathless as you try to take in all of the beauty. A pure example of Gothic style architecture combined with old world royalty the square is simply unbelievable. Everywhere you looked there was something new and exciting to see, examine, and question how something that gorgeous could possibly be built by hand. Justin and I took our time exploring the square and found the infamous Belgian waffles and chocolate shops (People in Brussels don't actually eat Belgian waffles but because it is so well known for it plenty of stores have opened up to please the tourists and you can order pretty much whatever you want on them.)I ordered a waffle with chocolate strawberries and bananas and was in heaven the moment I tasted it.

After finishing our waffles and picking up a couple of souvenirs including a chocolate little peeing boy (the mannekin pis) we headed down the alleys determined to find Brussels most famous site the Mannekin Pis (peeing boy) We followed the crowds and giggles and found the tiny statue of the little boy who constantly has to go. We were disappointed to see that he wasn't dressed up this time but took pictures none the less.
After seeing the infamous peeing boy and enjoying our waffles we headed back to the hotel where I got to skype with Mom and Dad and then we headed out to dinner at an Italian restaurant where I tasted frog legs (I did NOT order them, simply tasted Mikes) From dinner we saw the squatting girl statue (female equivalent to the peeing boy statue) and made a quick stop at Delirium (a bar with over 2000 different beers on tap) I headed back to the hotel early as I knew we had to travel the next day early in the morning.
It was an interesting night with Kenley and Mike getting in late and breaking my bed but all in all Brussels was a gorgeous city (once you got to the old parts of it) and I really enjoyed the architecture and history behind it.
Next stop after Brussels is Amsterdam (which is where I currently am while writing this blog)
Miss you all and I will update again soon!

1 comments:

Erin

Delirium! That is the bar I was telling you about. I hope you ordered yourself a beer ;)

Post a Comment